Out of your home’s exterior components, the roofing system usually gets most of the focus not only because it takes up such a large portion of your home–but also due to the important role it plays. In fact, to keep your property dry and damage-free, you’ll want to remain updated on your roof’s overall condition, which means going for prompt repairs when the system needs it. On the other hand, the downspouts aren’t noticeable enough to warrant such close attention (they’re always just there), but this doesn’t make them any less important. One of the area’s trusted roofers, Pro Quality Construction Inc. shares more of what you need to know about downspouts–plus their placement.
Proper and Effective Downspout Placement
Where do you think the rainwater running down your roof and flowing into the gutters end up? The short answer: through the downspouts and away from your home. Proper placement, however, is crucial for their efficient performance. To detail, correctly placed downspouts allow rainwater to drain properly away from your home, to where it can’t do any damage. Otherwise, water will seep into its structure, weakening its integrity. Another thing–positioning the downspouts the right way helps keep your basement dry and mold-free. It also prevents soil erosion on your landscaping.
But how exactly do you ensure proper downspout placement? Here are some tips to consider:
- Place at least one downspout per every 40 linear feet of gutter. Some homeowners spend a considerable amount of their budget reinforcing their basement walls to protect against water seepage. But the fact is that proper downspout placement can produce the same results (and is a simpler and more cost-effective method at that) just by reducing the volume of runoff soaking the ground. But to do this, at least one downspout should be placed per every 40 linear feet of gutter.
This allows for sufficient drainage that prevents gutters from overflowing during a heavy downpour. Otherwise, rainwater from overflowing gutters will cascade immediately onto the ground below, forcing water into ground near the adjacent exterior wall. This, in turn, encourages water to seep into the basement.
- Take the roof pitch into account when positioning both the gutters and downspouts. This helps prevent water from backing up under the roofing shingles and cause standing water issues. Because water is channeled away from your roof system, siding, and foundation, you can maintain the structural integrity of your home. To accurately determine proper roof slope, and gutter and downspout placement, make sure to consult a reliable roofing company like Pro Quality Construction Inc.
- Where the downspouts are placed matters. Make sure to position your downspouts in a way that it won’t cause water to pool close to your exterior wall and foundation. For instance, avoid placing them in areas where paving stones and walkways aren’t pitched correctly away from the exterior wall. That’s because they can serve as a sort of ‘dam’ that allows water to back up next to the structure.
For obvious reasons, the downspouts should not discharge water adjacent to the basement or any crawlspaces. When it’s not possible to relocate a downspout, you should consider having a downspout extender installed. This should be long enough to move the discharge point of the downspout a couple of feet away from your home’s siding and foundation.
- Place your downspouts where they can connect to an underground pipe. This offers a safe and effective way of routing water away from your home and into the yard. If local laws permit it, you can even connect them to the municipal storm sewer. You can also augment your downspouts’ draining performance by installing French drains or filling any low spots on your property to prevent standing water.
Why You Should Work with Pro Quality Construction Inc.
It always pays to leave roofing and gutter work to professionals. Not only can they ensure satisfactory results, they can also help you avoid the many pitfalls and expenses involved with a DIY job. And looking for a reliable contractor isn’t even as daunting as you may think. You just need to turn to one of the area’s premier roofers, Pro Quality Construction Inc. Central New Jersey homeowners and property managers know they can count on us for top-tier solutions to their roofing and gutter needs. We are:
- Qualified. Pro Quality Construction Inc. has the applicable licensing, bond, and insurance, plus liability coverage and workers’ compensation, for your greater protection. We are eligible to perform roofing and gutter services in your area. And if you need us to show proof of our qualifications, we’ll be more than happy to comply.
- Experienced. We specialize in a wide range of services, from residential roof repair and replacement, and storm damage restoration, to gutter, siding, and skylight installation. By letting us handle your home upgrade, you’ll have greater peace of mind knowing it will be completed to the highest quality standards. No shortcuts, mistakes, and callbacks–only superior workmanship backed by a decade of industry experience.
- Certified. Pro Quality Construction Inc. is committed to providing you with the latest options and techniques to smoothen your roofing experience. That’s why we’ve earned certifications from leading manufacturers like GAF®, Owens Corning®, CertainTeed®, and IKO®. We can meet your roofing and exterior renovation needs better, and you get to benefit not only from exceptional products, but from solid warranties, as well.
- Established. Your complete satisfaction is one of our top priorities. If you’re curious about the quality of our work, Pro Quality Construction Inc. is always ready and able to give you a list of references. You’re also free to check out the reviews we’ve received in Google My Business, Yelp and Facebook from pleased customers. Because of our attention to detail and customer-centric approach to roof and gutter construction work, we also maintain the coveted A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau®.
When in need of high-quality roof repair and other exterior home improvement services, look no further than Pro Quality Construction Inc. Positioning your downspouts correctly is part of our job, helping eliminate the potential of water damage to your home. Whatever the project, we’ll make sure it goes on smoothly and safely. We proudly serve the areas in and around Hamilton Township, NJ, and the rest of Central New Jersey. Call us today at (844) 499-7878 or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation. We’d love to hear from you!